Future Feeder » Blog Archive » Engineered Cement Composites : Bendable concrete

Engineered Cement Composites : Bendable concrete

May 5th, 2005 | Filed under: Architecture, Building Tech, Fabrication Tech, Materials, News, Products | 46 Comments »

Victor Li, at the University of Michigan has developed a new fiber-reinforced bendable concrete. Li claims his Engineered Cement Composites (pdf) are superior to other fiber-reinforced concretes because his composite not only uses microscale fiber reinforcements, but they have also designed the ingredients to the concrete itself to provide more flexibility. The 40% lighter ECC is also 500 times more resistant to cracking, 37% less expensive, consumes 40% less energy, and produces 39% less carbon dioxide than regular concrete.

via wmmna | Physorg

46 Comments on “Engineered Cement Composites : Bendable concrete”

1. 1 Rajarajan said at 11:25 pm on May 21st, 2005:

Dear Sir,
    I am verymuch impressed on the above subject and wish to know more about that. I am an Civil Engineer working in Malaysia.

2. 2 Zakir Hussain said at 3:40 am on July 5th, 2005:

I am glad to know about the flexibility and ductility in concrete. I would like to know much more in detail about the subject, and appreciate your kindness if you can send much more details about the product

3. 3 Lhyn Ada said at 10:52 pm on July 9th, 2005:

Dear sir,
    I am very much interested about the above subject and very eager to know more about it. Im an architecture student which will be gladly appreciate if you can share me more knowledge and much more details about it. Thank you in advance. More power and God speed!

4. 4 koteeswaran and deepak said at 7:06 am on July 13th, 2005:

dear sirs,
    This is an acheivement for the whole construction field.we take pleasure in inviting this new material.we are civil engineering students from tamilnadu college of engineering, coimbatore.we will be thankful if we get more description about your product.

5. 5 Brian said at 11:30 am on July 14th, 2005:

I was wondering how to obtain some of this bendable cement and polyvinyl fibre. I am interested in using it for a school project of which I am a member. Please let me know through my e-mail. Thank you very much!

6. 6 KULBHUSHAN RAI said at 5:37 am on July 19th, 2005:

Dear sir,
    Can you send comparative chart of this material Vs SIFCON covering all major characteristics like ductility, strength, durability and formability. I am a civil engineer & interested in knowing new development of this type.Regards

7. 7 Vaithiyanathan said at 9:07 am on July 24th, 2005:

Sir,
    I am amazed about your achievement. I want to know more details about your research. I am an post graduate student in civil engineering from Pondicherry. I am doing my research in fibre reinforced concrete. Please send me some more details of your research. Thanking you in Advance..

8. 8 slash said at 9:40 pm on September 12th, 2005:

I want to present the new innovation in concrete design to my classmates. So in connection with this can you give me some additional information about bendable concrete? thanks!! It would be a great help for me if you grant my request..please??

9. 9 bhogawade g s said at 5:54 am on September 21st, 2005:

dear sir,
    i take this as seminar topic .
    please send me all information about it , also manufacturing.

10. 10 Jon said at 3:43 pm on September 21st, 2005:

dear sir,
    I am very interested in your acheviments, I am a Civil Enginnering student doing research on reinforced and prestressed concrete any information you can give me to futher this would be apperciated

11. 11 vamshi raj said at 11:46 am on October 9th, 2005:

dear sir, iam a civil engg student. i am very much fascinated to know that concrete can be bended.i am lookin forward to present a paper on this interesting subject. so please kindly send me more information regarding this subject.

12. 12 girish said at 7:08 am on October 10th, 2005:

sir,
    My self is girish studing in civil engineering in India. sir I want to know more about bendable concrete,this is realy amazing one. sir I am thinking of doing on this subject as I am in final year,so please help me sir. sir please send me more information about this and how you have got this type of idea and if your having any other subject for project work please send me sir .

yours faithfully
    GIRISH

13. 13 girish said at 6:44 am on October 14th, 2005:

sir my self is girish studing in civil engineering. sir I want to know about composites of this flexible concrete and i wanted to know what are the ingradients that are used . sir please send me the information that I mentioned above. sir i am thinkink of doing project on this,so please send me the information.If possible please send me all information about this flexible concrete.I will be wating.

14. 14 sohrab said at 11:59 pm on October 28th, 2005:

dear sir
    im student of architecture. im working on a great hostpital project and so eager on knowing how a can use such a great idea in the project . so please let me know any applicable information if possible.

15. 15 Ashutosh said at 4:26 am on November 8th, 2005:

Dear sir,
    Can you send me engineering properties of ECC like youngs modulus, poissons ratio, unit weight, etc covering all major characteristics like ductility, strength, durability and formability. I am a structural engineer & interested in knowing new development of this type. Regards

16. 16 prakhar patwari said at 11:09 am on November 10th, 2005:

respected sir,
    could you please send me some more information about the above topic.

17. 17 Jay said at 9:28 am on November 28th, 2005:

It is a very nice invention/study.I want to know the ingradients of bending concrete and how can I get this material or make it at site.
    thanking you.

18. 18 lakshmipriya said at 9:48 am on January 4th, 2006:

dear sir,
    i am a student.i need more information about smart concrete and some projects using smart concrete.

19. 19 lakshmipriya said at 9:49 am on January 4th, 2006:

h

20. 20 PRASANNA said at 5:50 am on January 18th, 2006:

Respected sir,
    This mail is from a student who has completed CIVIL Engineering.I am trying for immigration to AUSTRALIA. I am working for contruction company and I design buildings based on the drawings sent.My doubt actually is that I should sent my work history to the embassy including my duties and tasks.Please help me out as to how I should write a effective documentation regarding my DUTIES and TASKS.

21. 21 Aries said at 12:55 pm on February 27th, 2006:

Dear Sir,
    I wanna know more about your details. where is it afflicable to use?Is it afflicable in making walls, houses, buildings etc?… please send me more information about that article… I really need it….urgent!!! please!!!!! THANKS!!!!!

22. 22 Aries said at 12:58 pm on February 27th, 2006:

I also want to know the ingredients used…. what ingredients does it have that a regular concrete doesn’t have?

23. 23 durdana begum said at 12:34 pm on March 16th, 2006:

Iam a B.E civil engg. student.
    In the present situation of the earth,where it is underging serious changes,there is a need to replace the conventional materials.therefore the bending concrete is really the one needed. The picture given is a impressive one and has made me to think about the materials used for its preparation. kindly publish the materials and proportions clearly.

24. 24 keerthi gowda said at 9:03 am on April 25th, 2006:

respected sir,
    I am an civil engineering student, i want work on this topic as project so please submit any litrature about this ECC.i am wating for your reply.

25. 25 jeff said at 12:52 pm on April 26th, 2006:

sounds pretty good

26. 26 Matthew Adams said at 8:53 pm on April 29th, 2006:

Dear Sir,
    I am in 6th grade and would like to become a design engineer. Can you send me more information about ECC and the bridge in Japan which is entirely made of this? How is it holding up, as it has been in use for a year now. Thank you for your reply –

Matthew

27. 27 özer said at 11:01 am on May 3rd, 2006:

dear sir,

is it suitable in making walls, buildings etc.. i mean where is it used. pls send me more information about that article
    thanks…..

28. 28 rik humboldt said at 8:40 pm on May 10th, 2006:

To: Victor Li

Sir,

CONGRATULATIONS on your outstanding achievement! THANK YOU for your dilligence and your hard work.

Is this a patented or proprietarty improvement?
    Would it be possible for a builder (me) in the field to
    make a material that would be as flexible as shown in this web page?
    It looks (the photo) similar to a page in the http://www.Grancrete.net website.The Grancrete is designed to be applied (sprayed or troweled) to expanded polystyrene (beadboard) panels. Is your material capable of the same application; can your material be applied as a ‘stucco’ coating directly to polystyrene beadboard in the same way?
    Would you be able to forward to me a list of the materials and proportions that I might experiment a bit with your material?

Rik Humboldt
    Henniker NH
    USA

29. 29 Sunil Bhatt said at 8:20 am on May 28th, 2006:

It’s excellent concrete engineered to allow it to bend. May I know about practical (on field) applications of this concrete?
    Kindly throw some light on the same if possible. You may kindly send me mail.

30. 30 sandesh patil said at 1:45 am on August 31st, 2006:

To
    victor li

Respested sir,
    I am final year B.E. civil student. & I will be study to your bendable concrete . this report is excellent . I requried detail Information @ bendable concrete.
    please give detail data of E.C.C

31. 31 Tony said at 10:28 pm on October 29th, 2006:

Is this product on the market yet? Are you revealing the recipe? When do you anticipate this product be in use? Please let me know more. Thanks for your accomplishment.

32. 32 priyanka said at 5:43 am on November 28th, 2006:

Respected sir
    Excellent achievement in the field of CIVIL Engineering by you.
    Sir i am post graduate student of the Stuctural Engineering in India.
    Will you please throw some light on ECC regarding various structural properties, design methodology, durability aspect covering all details of ECC.
    Thank You in advance for reply.

33. 33 Suleman Daud (pakistan) said at 6:58 am on December 13th, 2006:

Dear Sir
    I am a student of civil engineerini was searching for somthing new in concrete, during search i came to know about and i was deeply impressed by it. i will be very thankfull if you send me few more details about your product.

34. 34 linda said at 10:18 pm on January 30th, 2007:

I am a home owner with a hillside that is difficult to maintain. I would like to know if the bendable concrete would be a useful material for covering a hillside.

Linda

35. 35 Hlogi said at 5:44 am on April 21st, 2007:

i hope you will reap the rewards you rightfully deserve.i’m an engineering student who happened to come across your work while doing an assignment. sadly not enough information is availalble to me.i ask kindly for any other new developements on your project. thank you and again congradulations.

36. 36 Hussein El-Hariri said at 8:06 am on May 6th, 2007:

Dear Dr. Li,

Congratulations on your work!Please can you send me more details and information about your research,please!
    I am Civil engineer graduated from the American University of Beirut, Lebanon.I would like to know more about your concrete!

thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Hussein El-Hariri
    United Arab Emirates

37. 37 Anne Marie said at 5:53 am on November 26th, 2007:

Congratulations on your research! I am a final year civil engineering student from UCC, ireland and would be delighted to know more about your concrete!

38. 38 Joe Zylman said at 2:35 pm on April 28th, 2008:

I am very interested in knowing if this product is being produced now at a normal level of production. I would be very interested in buying this produc

39. 39 alias said at 9:49 am on July 31st, 2008:

I am Civil engineer .I would like to know more about your concrete!

thanks in advance,

Sincerely,
    alias

40. 40 Deepak yadav said at 4:24 am on October 27th, 2008:

Congrats sir!

I am doing my engineering in Vishveshwaraiah College of Engineering, Bangalore, India. Your work is a milestone in Concrete technology. I am planning to take this as a seminar subject. So I need to know some more information about ECC. I will be very thankful if I get some more information.

Thanking you sir……..

Sincerely,
    Deepak

41. 41 Je said at 3:46 am on November 10th, 2008:

Dear Sir,

I found your new invention interesting! Would you please send me more details about your “bendable concrete”? I am currently looking for a good research topic for my thesis and having read your invention makes me think its a brilliant one.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Je

42. 42 Bhavesh Gaikar said at 1:02 pm on April 23rd, 2010:

Dear sir,
    I am a MS student at university of surrey, UK. I am working on a dissertation on ECC’s applications. I have came across various publications on ECC however I could nor fine any books on this topic. Also, if you could kindly mail me the engineering properties of ECC like youngs modulus, poissons ratio, unit weight, etc covering all major characteristics like ductility, strength, durability and formability.

43. 43 Lee Jeong Dae said at 7:12 pm on June 10th, 2010:

Dear sir,

It is very impressive and I would like to know about this in detail. especially, I am wondering that this material is applicable to steel sandwich plate system. (steel-concrete-steel)
    In this case, Debonding strengh is our concern. I would like to hear your opinion regarding debonding strength and after discussion I think we can make Joint development group for steel sandwich plate system
    I will wait your reply..

44. 44 mohamad ali etminani said at 11:05 am on June 21st, 2010:

Hi to all students and engineers
    i am a polymer engineer.
    Lets help each other
    my email address is:
    [email protected] &
    [email protected]
    please send to me what you know about this concrete.
    I’m waiting for you and your information.
    Best regard.

45. 45 d.ramesh said at 8:03 pm on July 13th, 2010:

dear sir,my mini project topic is slurry infiltrated fibre reinforced concrete[sifcon].i am civil engineering student sir,please all information to covered my email id sir.thankyou

46. 46 madesh said at 10:13 pm on February 11th, 2015:

i am so much interact with this project
    now i am decide to a project in this name
    so please help me sir
    i am final year civil engg studen
    Gnanamani College Of Engineering,Namakkal,